[Swift-devel] Improvements to Swift tutorial

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Nov 29 11:54:33 CST 2012

Justin, David,

Below are good comments from Robin Weiss on the tutorial. If you have further suggestions for improvements, can you provide them on this thread?

Ones that I recall from user questions:

- explain semantics and flexibility of arrays in more detail: (dynamic, N-dimension, sparse, string-indexable)

- explain up front that Swift is locally developed.

And one that occurred to me:

- show that/how Swift can achieve high parallelism (in the example runs... We didnt go beyond 25 parallel jobs per run).

On the slide where you show an example app function (if I recall, it was
some sort of chemistry thing) there were a couple of typos ("temp" should
have been "t", etcŠ).  It also may be good to make it a little more clear
that what swift does is make system calls to something on the command
line.  I.e., show some dummy command how it looks on the command line like
"./myScript -param1 val1 -param2 val2" and then show that the app function
does something like "runMyScript -param1" variable1 "-param2" variable2.

Also, in the example where you have the fMRI data, the usage of the word
"Run" was a little misleading.  I realize that a "Run" is a data object,
but "run" is also a verb so it could me misconstrued that "Run" is telling
swift to "Run" something.  See what I mean?

Finally, in the tutorial section, I think it would be good to actually
work through some example workflow to make the ideas of swift more
concrete.  There are good examples in the online documentation/tutorial
that I found really helpful when I was learning swift.  For example, do
something where you have a bunch of dummy input decks, they get mapped,
passed in parallel to some app function that outputs intermediate "data"
files, and then aggregate all of the results in some sort of dummy
"analyze" app function.

Anyway, just some thoughtsŠ

Robin

--