[Swift-devel] Comparing Swift and Hadoop

Ketan Maheshwari ketancmaheshwari at gmail.com
Sun May 13 09:27:15 CDT 2012

Hi,

We are working on a project from GE Energy corporation which runs
independent MonteCarlo simulations in order to find device reliability
leading to a power grid wise device replacement decisions. The computation
is repeated MC simulations done in parallel.

Currently, this is running under Hadoop setup on Cornell Redcloud and EC2
(10 nodes). Looking at the computation, it struck me this is a good Swift
candidate. And since the performance numbers etc are already extracted for
Hadoop, it might also be nice to have a comparison between Swift and Hadoop.

However, some reality check before diving in: has it been done before? Do
we know how Swift fares against map-reduce? Are they even comparable? I
have faced this question twice here: Why use Swift when you have Hadoop?

I could see Hadoop needs quite a bit of setup effort before getting it to
run. Could we quantify usability and compare the two?

Any ideas and inputs are welcome.

Regards,
--
Ketan