[Swift-devel] Beagle needs from Swift

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 10 14:16:09 CDT 2012

Hi All,

Lorenzo and I met this morning to review beagle needs from Swift. Here's a summary:

1. Lorenzo is organizing a Swift tutorial for Beagle users. Suggested dates are last week of May. I prefer Wed-Fri that week, May 30-June1. Fri June 1 would give the most time to prepare.  David and Justin, can you attend (with me and Lorenzo) to help users hands-on?  Proposed time is 2 hours; short talk and then hands-on.

2. Jon, Lorenzo i interested in a portable swiftrun command. Can you check in your start on that, ideally with some asciidoc user guide info?

3. Lorenzo is having trouble running Java bio apps (picard) on beagle compute nodes. Memory crashes, runtime discrepancies, etc. Mihael, all: I suggested Lorenzo send the issues to swift-devel to tap your Java expertise, especially on the memory and GC options.

4. One Swift script Lorenzo is constructing may need to control jobsPerNode on a per-app basis. Justin, I forgot: can your latest mod for per-app attributes handle that?

Lorenzo, did I miss anything?

We should revert discussion of items 2,3,4 to the swift-devel list, which I will add Lorenzo to.