[Swift-devel] TUI

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jul 8 14:45:15 CDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-07-08 at 10:02 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
> Thanks, Mihael!
>
> Eventually (maybe gradually) I'd like to explore a more top-like
> plain-text version (including top -b, which would be an enhanced
> version of the current progress output, perhaps with %-like formatting
> options);

Yeah. There is already some minimal code for different frontends, and a
top like thing is one of them.

>  and an HTML version with visually attractive output equivalent to the
> current TUI screens. The mechanism could drive real-time plotting of
> run behavior.

Right. It's made so that it could also parse logs (instead of
intercepting log calls), so this could also be used offline.

> But all this in due time. First we need to use and tune the current
> TUI as-is and get a better feeling for whats useful for users and
> compelling and meaningful for demos.

Right. Please give me feedback on that.

> Then we need to learn the code; I assuming its structured in a way
> that already collects all the data and makes many different renderings
> "easy" to do.

Hopefully it is. What it does is to build a dynamic state out of a
stream of events. That state can be interpreted and displayed in
whatever ways are needed.

Mihael