[Swift-devel] Running applications with Swift on Surveyor

Emalayan Vairavanathan svemalayan at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 13:53:57 CST 2012

Hi All,

I have a quick question.

It seems the step I was following to run the applications on BG/P with swift is different from the steps suggested by https://sites.google.com/site/exmproject/development/mosaswift. I was running applications+Swift from head node by just submitting a command below.

swift -config cf  -tc.file tc -sites.file sites.xml ftdock.swift -n=1 -list=pdb.list -grid=10

I didnt start the coaster-service but my site file was using coaster as execution-provider (in site files). Then Swift allocated some nodes and executed the job and placed the result in my home directory. (My assumption here was coaster-service and workers will be started automatically by swift).

But the above link suggests me to use persistent-coasters, changes to coaster-config files and also to start coaster-service in the head node.

Basically I have three questions:

1) What is the different between Coasters and Persistent-Coasters?
2) How I was able to run the swift+application without starting the coaster-service, since coaster-service is expected to be started manually (according to the above link) ? Does swift use some other mechanisms to send a job if coaster-service is not started explicitly?
3) How I need to run my experiments in future with MosaStore and Swift ? Should I use  Coasters / Persistent-Coasters ?

Thank you
Emalayan