[Swift-devel] Streams

Ketan Maheshwari ketancmaheshwari at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 13:39:54 CDT 2012

Hi,

I am working on a DOE powergrid related project here at Cornell.

An aim of the project is to compute power grid state estimation and react
in time-critical fashion.

The application at a very high level, is a distributed producer/consumer
system where multiple producers produce data streams consumed by multiple
consumers in a publish-subscribe model of data flow.

The producers (phasor measurement units) produce streams continuously and
consumers(State Estimators) can subscribe to the producers. There can be
multiple consumers consuming from a single producer for performance and
consistency purposes.

Can Swift support this model of computation? In particular, I am wondering
how to go about the following aspects with Swift:

1. Describe application which could run in an 'infinite' loop.
2. Mappers to streams. I think these streams should be some kind of named
buffers. A memory to memory stream model is what I vaguely view this as.

The streams are binary encoded ones in big-endian format and could be
parsed (by consumers) as id'd tuples each containing 5-6 fixed width field
of timestamp, voltage, current, delta etc. data.

There are other requirements of the application and plenty of low level
nitty gritty but I think Swift could handle all of'em. I am just unsure of
the above two at the moment.

We are in discussion with WSU collaborators to deliver some of the 'real'
parts of the application. However, in the meantime we do have toy
components to test and play with.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
--