[Swift-devel] Plotting

Jonathan Monette jonmon at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 13 11:37:19 CDT 2012

Hello,
   I am trying to grab plots from the logs for the SciColSim application I have been working on.  The problem is, when I work through the post log-processing plotting steps the output file has a lot of data points making the eps file quite large(~300M).  When trying to open this file under preview on my local mac, preview crashes.  I tried using gnu plot to plot this large data set and the output file was just as large.

I have thought about going through the large data set file and averaging together points that are very close together(within some epsilon).  Is this a solid approach?  Is there any way of telling the plot routine(gnu plot or the plotter Justin made with JFreeChart) to do this for me?  What other techniques could I try to shorten the amount of data that is being plotted?