[Swift-devel] [Swift-user] gram on ranger

Sarah Kenny skenny at uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 8 16:36:42 CST 2011

thought i'd revisit this since anjali re-ran this workflow with fewer jobs
(~85K) and perhaps the info would be useful. it showed a similar pattern in
that it finished all jobs but one (that is, we were missing a single output
file) and hung indefinitely on the last 'finished successfully...'

so this discussion seems to have turned mostly to how coasters requests
cores. however, i have to say that *generally* in the past when
swift/coasters has requested too many cores for the given queue gram
complains and you see it in the gram log, which is not the case here.

that said, if you want em: the swift log is in /home/skenny/swift_logs on
ci and the coaster log was too big for my home on ci (and has since been
appended to so make sure to match the dates with the swift log), but if
someone has access to ranger it's in /var/tmp/skenny_swift on login3

we're continuing to use the same swift version and sites file since it's at
least helping us push thru much of the work (doing manual
resumes/restarts).

~sk

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Justin M Wozniak <wozniak at mcs.anl.gov>wrote:

> I think count is the number of processes.  PBSExecutor uses it, that may
> be a good place to look.  In the Coasters context, I think it is the
> number of invocations of worker.pl .
>
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, David Kelly wrote:
>
> > Just to clarify - when coasters is being used, count represents the
> > number of coaster blocks? Then to get the number of cores to request, I
> > should use count*workersPerNode?
> >
> > What about in the case where coasters is not used?

Sarah Kenny
Programmer ~ Brain Circuits Laboratory ~ Rm 2224 Bio Sci III
University of California Irvine, Dept. of Neurology ~ 773-818-8300