[Swift-devel] Coding a server in Swift

Tim Armstrong tim.g.armstrong at gmail.com
Mon May 9 09:38:06 CDT 2011

Hi All,
  for SwiftR, I've been looking at trying to implement a multi-threaded
server in Swift, but haven't been quite sure how to go about it.

Basically I want to write something that sits in a loop, reading requests
from a named pipe on the file system, and forking off threads to handle the
request.
Something like:

iterate {
  request = readData(inputFile)  // block until data available
  handleRequest(request) // do all the work in a new thread.
}

My problem is that my (shaky) understanding is that iterate has sequential
semantics - that all of the statements within the loop body must finish
before the next iteration of the loop starts, which would mean only one
request was processed at a time.  Am I correct in my understanding?  If so,
is there a workaround where I could get it to fork off threads like this?

- Tim