[Swift-devel] Executing a swift task from Java application

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 11 15:30:00 CST 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 13:26 -0600, Tim Armstrong wrote:
> Hi swift-devel,
>   I'm looking currently at using swift to manage files (staging in and
> out, etc) and execute tasks on behalf of another application.
>
> Is it possible to programmatically construct and execute Swift app
> tasks?

Yes. Swift runs on top of something that can do that.

Here's an example:
http://cogkit.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cogkit/trunk/current/src/cog/modules/abstraction-common/src/org/globus/cog/abstraction/tools/execution/JobSubmission.java?revision=2969&view=markup

Essentially you have a Task which has a Specification (which contains
the executable and all the details), a provider (which is the mechanism
used to submit the job - coasters for example), and a service (which may
have a job manager).

Swift profiles (such as coaster parameters) are directly put into the
specification attributes.

>  Would it make sense to just use the coasters module on its own
> without the Swift runtime?

That I can't answer, but I can imagine certain problems for which that
would be the case. You won't have scheduling, throttling, retries, and
any of the high level management that swift does though.

Mihael