[Swift-devel] New syntax for appending to arrays

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jun 28 09:16:21 CDT 2011

Ah, you mean specifically using the operator += conflicts with its use as an increment operator in C? I wasn't thinking of that - I was just commenting that "append will be useful".

I agree, now that you raise the issue. I need to study this length thread - Ive not been following it close enough.  Were any other symbols proposed for the operator other than the original "!"?

Would "<<" be more appropriate, suggestive of various stream-append operators? Or append() as a built-in function rather than an operator?

a << 123;

- Mike