[Swift-devel] Associative array in Swift [GSoC]

Yadu Nand yadudoc1729 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 01:17:36 CDT 2011

Hi,

>> > I think the typical example (if I remember correctly) used in the
>> > map/reduce paper is a reasonable case: count the number of occurrences
>> > of each word in a set of files.

As far as I know and understand (which is very little), MapReduce
as used in Hadoop works because it runs on top of HDFS. It is not
the ability to compute in a distributed fashion that gives advantage
but the idea of the operation going to the system which holds the
data. This is handled by HDFS doing replication and other stuff.

It is the huge size of the data repositories, and their distributed
storage structure that allowed MapReduce to work its magic. Do
we have that  ? Or could we have that on swift ?

--
Thanks and Regards,
Yadu Nand B