[Swift-devel] Re: InternalHostname in sites file

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jun 2 14:45:24 CDT 2011

Right. If the head node has multiple network interfaces, only one of
which is visible from the worker nodes.

The choice of which interface is the one that worker nodes can connect
to is a matter of the particular cluster. It's not particularly easy to
have an automated mechanism that figures it out. We tried some scheme to
pass all the interface addresses to the worker and let it try to connect
to all of them in order, but that didn't work very well. Of course,
there might be a scheme that works, but I didn't want to spend too much
time on that.

So that's why it's needed. To clarify to the workers which exact
interface on the head node they are to try to connect to.

Mihael