[Swift-devel] gridftp UI

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Jul 30 20:35:38 CDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 12:54 -0700, Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-07-30 at 13:49 -0500, Ian Foster wrote:
> > Why not use Globus Online?
>
> Convenience/usability. I hit F3 or enter on coasters.log, and it quickly
> pops up in a viewer/editor. I hit F8 and the file gets deleted. When I
> copy files, I get immediate feedback (in particular progress with
> estimated times and speed and everything).
>
> Otherwise GO is pretty cute.

While we're here, I don't see any good reason why Globus Online couldn't
support similar features (e.g., delete files, create directories,
view/edit files, better feedback on transfers, etc.). It might even go
as far as starting jobs on the endpoints.

And the agent could support uploading a proxy directly so that getting a
credential would take one step less. It would even be more secure to not
have to go through a third-party (one less thing to trust).