[Swift-devel] SwiftR user-ready?

Tim Armstrong tim.g.armstrong at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 16:57:06 CST 2011

Hi Sarah,

Sorry about the dead link, that was my mistake - it should work now.

It does indeed work.  It's still very much in development, but the current
version is quite dependable running on a single multi-core machine.

I haven't tested on a Mac yet, but it should work provided there is a Java
1.6+ VM and R 2.11+.  It would be good to get confirmation that there aren't
any funny mac-specific issues.

For your user it should be as simple as
> swiftInit(cores=8)
to start up swift on 8 cores, then to apply a functino to a list of
arguments
> arglists = list(  1, 2, 3, 4, 5)  # arguments for invocations of bootstrap
> results <- swiftapply(bootstrap, arglists)

If they have a dataset used by all instances of bootstrap, the following can
work:
>swiftExport(hugeDataSet)
>swiftapply(bootstrap, arglists)

If they need to use a library: