[Swift-devel] Performance problem with CDM direct processing

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Aug 22 10:41:43 CDT 2011

Justin,

In testing Montage, Jon observed what looks like a performance bottleneck in the processing of CDM direct output passing.

I *think* what was happening was that a large number of jobs (say 25,000 or more, but I dont recall the exact number, it may have been larger) produced an output file, and all those files were being passed as input to a merge job.

What we observed was that the scripts being called from _swiftwrap (and perhaps some processing at the vdl-int.k level??? as well) were running very slowly, and that a fairly large number of scripts were being invoked per file. I think (but am not sure) that the high overhead was being observed at the start of the merge job in CDM scripts called by _swiftwrap.

Jon, can you explain what you know about this problem, and then lets see if we can enhance the performance?  This is now the main bottleneck in this application, which is otherwise now performing quite well.