[Swift-devel] How to get Engage VO membership

Ketan Maheshwari ketancmaheshwari at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 14:47:30 CDT 2011

Hello,

Per discussion with Mike, here is how one can get a membership to Engage VO:

Step1. Apply for a certificate: https://pki1.doegrids.org/ca/; use ANL as
affiliation (registration authority) in the form.

Step2. When you receive your certificate via a link by mail, download and
install it in your browser; I have only tested it for firefox on linux and
mac. Jon says, it works for Chrome on mac. And I know that it does not work
on Chrome+linux.
On firefox, as you click the link that you received in the mail, you will be
prompted to install it by firefox, passphrase it and click install. Next
take a backup of this certificate in the form of .p12.
This is in Preferences > Advanced > Encryption > View Certi > Your Certi

Step3. Install DOE CA and ESnet root CA into the browser by clicking the top
left links on this page: http://www.doegrids.org/; I do not know if ESnet CA
cert is necessary or not but I install both anyways. I know that DOE CA is
necessary.

Step4. Go to the Engage VO registration point here:
https://osg-engage.renci.org:8443/vomrs/Engage/vomrs from the same browser
that has the above certs installed. Also see this :
https://twiki.grid.iu.edu/bin/view/Engagement/EngageNewUserGuide for more
details.

Step 5. Once you have the membership of the VO, you need to have the
certificate that is in the browser put in your .globus from where you want
to access OSG resources. The certificate has to be in the form of .pem files
with a seperate file for key and cert. For this use the above backed up .p12
file as follows:

$ openssl pkcs12 -in your.p12 -out usercert.pem -nodes -clcerts -nokeys
$ openssl pkcs12 -in your.p12 -out userkey.pem -nodes -nocerts

Above commands are taken from:
http://security.ncsa.illinois.edu/research/grid-howtos/usefulopenssl.html
For more on openssl: http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/openssl.html

Step6. Test it:

$ voms-proxy-init --voms Engage -hours 48

Regards,
--
Ketan