[Swift-devel] 0.93 site testing

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Aug 4 04:44:29 CDT 2011

David, Alberto,

The test list looks good.  We can maybe shuffle the names assigned: Alberto on PADS and Fusion; Justin can maybe help on the BG/P's and Frankin; can add the Cray crow test system.

It might be good to add tests of the plain ssh provider, and then the ssh:local coaster configuration. (Jon is using this eg to run on PADS and Beagle from Globus Online).(Aside: I see very excessive logging from the ssh provider - lets investigate, I'll file a ticket)

I noticed that in several past incidents our site tests were fooled into thinking they passed, when in fact the actual application invocations took place in an environment different than intended.  Some cases that come to mind:

- thinking that we were running on a cluster via coasters when in fact the apps ran on localhost. This was the incorrect PADS sites entry you mention below.

- thinking that we were running on Cray compute nodes when in fact the apps ran on the Cray PBS service node (on Beagle, again this was a login node)

- asking to run N apps per compute node (1 per core) when in fact we ran 1 app per node

- asking to run N apps per compute node when in fact we ran N^2 apps per node

In this next round of testing, can we enhance the tests (or add new ones) so that:

1) part of the app execution records the node(s) it executes on and ensures that we are running on a compute node (We can do this in a site-independent fashion by adding a "compute node hostname pattern" to the siteTester script: https://trac.ci.uchicago.edu/swift/browser/trunk/tests/sitetester?desc=1
and passing the name pattern to the test.

2) the expected number of apps are running on the compute node (sleep; do ps; count the number of app shells running, and ensure that there are >1 and <= N)

- Mike