[Swift-devel] Re: A new use case for the persistent swift server

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Sep 5 10:56:24 CDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-09-05 at 09:44 -0600, wilde at mcs.anl.gov wrote:
> Mihael, as the Swift R interface progresses I realize we have another use case to consider for the persistent Wwift service:
>
> - run the same script repeatedly, from different directories (perhaps with different arguments)
>
> - since the script doesn't change, we can run a pre-compiled version: no need to regenerate the myscript.xml and myscript.kml files.

They are not typically re-generated unless either the .swift file
changes or swift is re-compiled.

> Can this be readily handled by the code you have underway to do multiple script executions from a single Swift invocation?

I didn't have code underway. I just said it was not difficult to write.

So, bounty:
- prize is 2 shiny virtual cookies (they are very good).
- write a simple java service (plenty of examples on the tubes) that can
read a command line from a client, launch Loader.main() with the
respective arguments, and send a message back when Loader.main()
completes or fails.
- write a simple client (either perl or using netcat) that can connect
to said service, pass its ARGV to it and wait for the completion message
then exit.

Mihael