[Swift-devel] Provider staging is failing

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Sep 4 11:30:14 CDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-04 at 05:51 -0600, wilde at mcs.anl.gov wrote:
> Thanks, Mihael - I will test.
>
> Can you clarify how to use provider staging? My understanding is:
>
> - set use.provider.staging=true in swift.properties

Yes.

> (this turns it on for all sites as far as I know; thats not desirable
> moving forward, but fine for now for testing. Perhaps it should be
> controlled solely by the stagingMethod tag in sites.xml?)

The problem was that vdl-int and _swiftwrap were getting too messy.

> - set stagingMethod in sites.xml. At the moment, the file method is
> broken and proxy method works.

Not for me. We need to double-check and see what the problem is there.

> - set workdirectory in sites.xml to a *node local* directory

Yes.

> - <scratch> element in sites.xml is ignored (as far as I could tell
> from tests), so there is no way to specify that the jobdirectory
> should be local. Instead, one does this by setting the workdirectory
> to a node-local dir.

Right. Traditionally <workdirectory> was used for the shared directory
on a site. Since there is no shared directory with provider staging,
workdirectory is meant to indicate where app data should be when the app
is running.

> - the <filesystem> element in sites.xml is ignored

Yes.

> Is that correct, and is anything else needed to make provider staging
> work correctly?

That's it as far as I can tell.

Mihael