[Swift-devel] Re: Need precise throttle on local provider

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 5 13:16:00 CDT 2010

----- "Mihael Hategan" <hategan at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 11:59 -0600, wilde at mcs.anl.gov wrote:
>
> > As Ive had the coaster slot-labelling code running in worker.pl for
> > quite a while, Im committing it into trunk now. Its been very
> costly
> > for me to keep re-integrating it as worker.pl evolves.  If better
> > ideas on how to do this come up, we can revise or remove it.
> >
> > This code sets SWIFT_JOB_SLOT and SWOFT_WORKER_PID in the
> environment
> > of executed app() jobs.
>
> Right. I see no reason why those couldn't be there. But if you commit
> it
> to coasters, can you change to COASTER_JOB_SLOT?

In my application thats not feasible, as the application scripts should work the same (and do) regardless of whether they were run under coasters (where the provider sets the slot) or under the local exec provider (where the slot is set by using multiple sites and the ENV profile).

> > I'll also commit a change to coasters build.xml to copy worker.pl
> > bin/ and mark it executable.
>
> Why is that needed?

Many of us (well, Allan and I) are executing worker.pl for persistent and passive mode configurations. Its much better to get worker.pl from bin/ for these applications rather than manually fishing it out of the resources/ directory.