[Swift-devel] Re: Need precise throttle on local provider

wilde at mcs.anl.gov wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 5 12:59:01 CDT 2010

----- "Mihael Hategan" <hategan at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I now see better what you are saying.
>
> I believe that there are two problems:
> 1. Enforcing a limited number of concurrent jobs on a site
> 2. Labeling the jobs in such a way that any two concurrent jobs
> always
> have a distinct label.
>
> I believe that this is a scenario that is very unlikely to occur in
> normal swift usage. I would therefore be somewhat against writing
> "generic" code to address (2) if a possibility exists to solve the
> problem with the unmodified swift. Assuming (1), that possibility is
> "virtual sites" which is what you are trying to do.
>
> I don't feel strongly about this though. What do others think?
>
> Mihael

As Ive had the coaster slot-labelling code running in worker.pl for quite a while, Im committing it into trunk now. Its been very costly for me to keep re-integrating it as worker.pl evolves.  If better ideas on how to do this come up, we can revise or remove it.

This code sets SWIFT_JOB_SLOT and SWOFT_WORKER_PID in the environment of executed app() jobs.

I'll also commit a change to coasters build.xml to copy worker.pl to bin/ and mark it executable.