[Swift-devel] Re: Need precise throttle on local provider

Justin M Wozniak wozniak at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 4 10:00:50 CDT 2010

On Sat, 2 Oct 2010, Mihael Hategan wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-10-01 at 09:38 -0700, Mihael Hategan wrote:
>>>
>>> I disagree. This "slot" functionality is the primary goal. The
>>> throttling approach is a poor workaround, as it forces me to create
>>> one local pool per core, when what I really want is just one pool.

> 1. Enforcing a limited number of concurrent jobs on a site
> 2. Labeling the jobs in such a way that any two concurrent jobs always
> have a distinct label.
>
> I believe that this is a scenario that is very unlikely to occur in
> normal swift usage. I would therefore be somewhat against writing
> "generic" code to address (2) if a possibility exists to solve the
> problem with the unmodified swift. Assuming (1), that possibility is
> "virtual sites" which is what you are trying to do.
>
> I don't feel strongly about this though. What do others think?

I think it's definitely useful in the application Mike is working on and
could be useful in a lot of other settings.  In a small way, it exposes
the fact that there is a non-trivial topology to work with in multicore
settings, and resources on that SMP may need to be coordinated.  For
example, it could be used to manage access to the LFS or distributed
database implementation.

--
Justin M Wozniak