[Swift-devel] computing job queue time.

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 24 16:42:08 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 16:05 -0500, Allan Espinosa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just wanted to make sure my assumptions are correct:
>
> execute2 = dostagein time + queue time + running time + dostageout time

Pretty much.

> So to get queue time, i just subtract dostagein and dostageout from
> logs and execution timestamps from *info files right?

You should look at the difference between Submitted and Active.

Though I'm not sure to what extent different providers keep the
timestamp of original events, or to what extent the middleware itself
provides these timestamps. But the ideal case would be that in which you
can extract the exact time at which an event occurred (not when it was
received).

> of course there's always overheads for state transitions of jobs which
> is much much lower because of the constrainst of the storage and
> computation resources themselves.

Right. Though see above comment.