[Swift-devel] [gt-dev] Google Summer of Code 2010 - Please contribute project ideas (fwd)

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Sat Mar 6 06:55:02 CST 2010

> Im very interested in also enhancing the imperative
> control structures, and then comparing the functional vs. imperative
> approaches.

I'm fairly firmly convinced that imperative structures fit in poorly, and
(perhaps because of that) have a hard time envisioning specific
improvements (as in, a concrete specification of what they should do that
would survive a week on this mailing list ;)

> Regarding the second one: Ive made recent progress in calling Swift from
> within R, in an R-ish manner (ie you dont see any Swift); since R is
> rather functional and also of great interest to the analytics community,
> perhaps we can coordinate a joint SoC effort around that.

That's different to what I intended by my suggestion.

I was suggesting that the question:

  "can (something like) SwiftScript be implemented by embedding in another
language rather than having a separate implementation of parsers, type
systems, numerical operators, ...?"

... rather than (which I think is what you are suggesting) a language
binding from another language (R) to use the existing SwiftScript
implementation, which is something different.

That latter is probably something interesting, though its not interesting
enough to me to mentor.

> I hope to get other Swift SoC projects on the table soon.

The submission to google happens early next week, so its useful to have
ideas (even in rough form) on the wiki by then.