[Swift-devel] Re: Clone provider-wonky to create a queue simulator for scheduling simulation

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Jun 8 08:52:47 CDT 2010

> I'm not sure I follow, what is provider-wonky, and where is it located for
> me to take a look?

provider-wonky is a modified version of the local execution provider
that was intended to help test Swift's reliability mechanisms.

The idea is that, although it runs real programs on your local machine, it
does so in a way that shows some of the problems with executing on a
remote machine - for example, by causing a certain percentage of jobs to
fail, or be delayed, or for certain unusual remote-site configurations to
be simulated.

Its in the swift SVN in the provider-wonky/ directory.

It already has some random delay code in there, but there is definitely
scope for making that more realistic - I think at present it does
something like a normal distribution of delays for each place a delay can
occur, which I think is probably not realistic.

There doesn't seem much utility in forking queue simulation into a
separate provider-queuesim vs keeping all interesting simulation behaviour
all in one provider.

A note I wrote about it can be found here:

http://mail.ci.uchicago.edu/pipermail/swift-devel/2008-May/003140.html

That is, however, out of date - there are parameters that you can set now,
through some mechanism that I do not recall.