[Swift-devel] Re: Coaster problems with proxy and gsi explained

wilde at mcs.anl.gov wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 13 00:23:03 CDT 2010

For whatever reason, here are the issues:

- mcs is running Ubuntu 10.x on these machines, and seems to no longer include any Sun Javas in its .soft options. So I needed to bring in my own Java.

- mcs doesnt have Globus or OSG packages, so I needed to bring in my own CA cert dir

- the login shell, by default doesnt process .bashrc; the call to .bashrc needs to go in your .profile or similar, and was missing from mine.

- after much reading up on bash startup, and fiddling, I concluded that when swift launches coasters with the ssh provider, only the .bashrc runs, not the profile, so one needs to essentially force the .profile to run in this case, or else set PATH and X509_CERT_DIR from .profile. What I did is have .bashrc call .profile if it was not previously run.

- if either .profile or .bashrc sends anything to stdout, you get this cryptic, mysterious message from swift:
---
stomp$ swift -tc.file tc -sites.file crush.xml cat.swift
Swift svn swift-r3430 cog-r2798

RunID: 20100713-0010-d3r5x92f
Progress:
Exception in thread "sftp subsystem 1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
	at com.sshtools.j2ssh.subsystem.SubsystemClient.run(SubsystemClient.java:198)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

---
Hence, dont do that :)

So, Jon, you may want to look at my .profile and .bashrc, or do whatever is needed to set JAVA and X509_CERT_DIR correctly, until we figure how how to do this all more cleanly.

- Lastly, getting a proxy from TeraGrid works just fine:

cog-myproxy -S -h myproxy.teragrid.org -p 7514 -l wilde -S anonget

The errors I saw when we tried this last were all due to the env var issues above.

- Mike