[Swift-devel] Next Swift release

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 8 09:52:31 CST 2010

Mihael, of course feel free to set all this aside till finals are past.

We'll push forward on the discussion (and on other devel issues) fully understanding that you'll be focused on school this week.

One item I would *like* to address next week is validating the current SGE provider on the many diverse SGE systems that users are asking for. We now also have a request to support a machine in Edinburgh ("Eddie" ;) with PE's that dont match any we've seen before.

Eddie's PEs are described at:
  https://www.wiki.ed.ac.uk/display/ecdfwiki/Documentation (Eddie home page)
This web post alludes to a method to pretty much bypass PE processing:
  https://www.wiki.ed.ac.uk/display/ecdfwiki/Parallel+Environments
  http://gridengine.info/2005/09/19/parallel-environments-pes-loose-vs-tight-integration

Its possible that the Swift SGE provider already does this and just needs to get a PE spec that gets the right number of nodes or cores allocated.  If not, it seems desirable to have it behave in that manner.

We should ideally plan on testing SGE on: Ranger (local + GT2); IBI; Godzilla; sisboombah (the latter two are UC PSD clusters)

Does anyone on this list know of a SGE guru we can turn to for advice?

- Mike