[Swift-devel] Re: scheduling

Vipul Kumar Singh vipulkrsingh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 12:25:05 CDT 2010

Please take a look at this draft for project proposal to GSoC. Looking
forward to your suggestions.

ABSTRACT:

The aim is to develop data-site catalog containing information about logical
name of data files and sites the files are available on. Based on the
catalog the existing weighted scheduler can add bias to the sites. This will
help scheduler to choose sites based on data availability and reduce the
data transfers required.

*1. Provide a 1-2 paragraph summary of the project you propose to do over
the summer.*

The main purpose of the project is to make site selection aware of data
placement on sites so that when choosing sites the scheduler prefers those
that already have input data files in order to reduce the amount of data
transfer necessary.

To achieve the objectives, a catalog is implemented that stores updated
details about the data files and sites the files reside on. The scheduler
refers to the catalog and trys to schedule jobs to sites with access to
required data.

*2. What Globus project (see list in http://dev.globus.org/) does your GSoC
project most closely relate to?*

The project is related to the Incubator project - Swift.

*3. Have you contacted a Globus mentor about this project proposal? If so,
who?*

Yes i approached Mentor Michael Wilde on swift-devel mailing list regarding
the project, also got valuable suggestions from Mihael Hategan and Ben
Clifford.

*4. What languages, libraries, toolkits, etc. will you use for this project?
If part of the project will require researching technologies to decide which
one is better suited, just say so (do mention what technologies you will be
looking at, if you already know this)*

The coding part will be mostly in Java.

*5. What would be the main deliverables for your project? Please include a
rough timeline for these deliverables. We are not asking you to commit to
specific dates right now, and you can certainly tweak the deliverables later
on (in fact, we expect you will do so as you interact more with your mentor
and the Globus community). However, please give us an approximate idea of
what you expect to produce throughout the summer.*

deliverables:

+ Replica catalog containing mapping of logical names to the site it resides
on.

+ Modified scheduler that takes scheduling decision influnced by the
catalog.

rough timeline:

During First Phase (upto 30th may) the specifications of the catalog is
decided and an API is designed for the catalog implementation so that
various already existing implementations like globus RLS can be plugged in.

During second phase(upto 30th june) the catalog is implemented .

During third phased(upto 9th Aug) the scheduler is modified to take catalog
into consideration. The scheduler is thoroughly tested and scrutinized.

*6. What are your qualifications for this project? Please let us know what
previous experience you have with the technologies you listed in question
(3). Take into account that having limited knowledge on the Globus Toolkit
does not disqualify you from participating; GSoC is as much about learning
as it is about writing code, and you will have until the summer to get up to
speed.*

I am an Undergraduate student doing engineering in Computer Science. I have
a good understanding of object oriented programming languages such as Java
and C++. I have experience working with gridSim toolkit which is implemented
in java.

*7. If you have little or no experience with Globus technologies, or any
other technology involved in your project, will you be able to use the
"Community Bonding Period" (April 20 - May 23) to get up to speed?*

Yes, I will use community bonding period to understand the working of
scheduler and mapper in swift and discuss about the logical issues regarding
the catalog and its API. I will also use interim period to study about
working of the globus RLS catalog and other similar implementations.

*8. Will you have any other commitments during the summer? In particular,
let us know if your school year ends later than May 23 (i.e., if you will
still be doing final exams when GSoC starts) and if you are already commited
to another job (an internship, a teaching/research assistantship at your
university, etc.). This does not disqualify you from participating but you
have to be upfront about how much time you'll be able to spend on your GSoC
project.*

No, I have no other reservations.

*9. Please provide a contact e-mail address in case we need to discuss your
project proposal further with you (the contact details you provide to Google
will not be shared with us, so we need you to include them as part of your
application too).*

vipulkrsingh at gmail.com

*10. If you want to provide any additional details about your project,
please do so here:*

Thank You

Vipul Kumar Singh