[Swift-devel] Scala

Ian Foster foster at anl.gov
Sat Oct 24 19:51:53 CDT 2009

Hi Ben:

I gather you are in Australia at present? Say hello from me.

I think that the key feature of Swift (apart from functional semantics
and XDTM-like mechanisms) is its use of single assignment variables
for synchronization.

I'm not sure that one has to have everything-parallel semantics to do
what we want. One could also have explicitly parallel operators, like
"forall" and "par" used in CC++.

I remain interested in the question of whether we can reduce barriers
to use of Swift, and its long-term maintenance costs, by adopting some
existing technology to build on. Scala is one of several potential
candidates.

Ian.