[Swift-devel] block allocation

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Sun May 24 15:57:48 CDT 2009

I committed the block allocation code I had. Here's a quick status:

- I tested it locally, alone, and with swift.
- Not tested on a cluster (my jobs just sat in the queue on TP and TGUC,
so I got bored and killed it).
- I updated the documentation on the profile entries, but there are
permission problems when I try to deploy it.
- I don't think jobs are cleaned properly if an early abort is done, so
be sure to check the queue and manually clean up if needed.
- Exercise caution in general. It's new stuff, and things may go bad. So
please keep an eye on the resources used and report misbehavior.
- There is no mechanism to specify a static allocation. This is due to
me giving it a low priority for this particular iteration of the code,
and not because I hate globus.

Mihael

PS: On the topic of static allocations, in people's experience, how does
one specify reservations on various resources?