[Swift-devel] new coaster code

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Mon May 18 11:36:14 CDT 2009

In the development of the block allocation code, I had to make a
decision not to keep backwards compatibility (i.e. have both the old
code and the block allocation code simultaneously useable). This is due
to:

1. The old code, while working, had problems that in the long run didn't
seem like a good idea to have.
2. It's easier, from a development perspective, to not have to abstract
over two fairly different implementations of a sub-system.

What this means is that once I commit the block allocation code, the old
behavior is gone, and if you learned to rely on its peculiarities, that
won't work.

So I'm trying to ask folks how they would like to see this handled.
Opinions, suggestions, etc.

Mihael