[Swift-devel] Tool for TeraGrid site info

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed May 13 12:56:15 CDT 2009

On Wed, 13 May 2009, skenny at uchicago.edu wrote:

> we are looking at using glen's code as a starting point for a
> tool that could be included in swift/committed to swift's svn.
> there will need to be quite a bit of testing first as i'm
> unsure about committing someone else's code 'as is'...

I think a bunch of testing will show whether code is useful or not. But it
needs additional stuff like documentation. Mats' work on the OSG sites
file generator went in quite easily - it has some basic documentation (the
command line help) and it worked in a bunch of informal tests. Ideally the
test suite and the userguide would be appropraitely amended too...

> my other question regarding this is that there is apparently
> some *paperwork* involved in this process which would require
> me (and glen?) to sign some sort of globus licensing agreement
> (?)

mmm paperwork. If you're working on glen's code, then at least you, glen,
glen's employer and your employer need to sign globus contributor licenses
or have existing licenses appropriately amended to cover you/him.

I think maybe you don't already have a license signed - I don't remember
you doing one. In which case look at
http://dev.globus.org/wiki/Guidelines#License_and_Contributor_Agreements
for the individual license agreement and give a copy to Gigi.

Glen needs to do the same, and have his employer(s) give a license - I
don't know in his case who employs him.

(the above reflects my understanding of the dev.globus guideliens and is
not to be construed as legal advice under US, UK or South African law)