[Swift-devel] Swift-issues (PBS+NFS Cluster)

Ioan Raicu iraicu at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue May 12 15:19:14 CDT 2009

Hi Tim,

Tim Freeman wrote:
> Is that for speed or less moving parts?  I think EBS is the fastest option they
> have for disk space (faster than local disk), fyi.

Can you elaborate more on how EBS, can be faster than local disk? I know
nothing about EBS, but there are only 2 ways it can work. Since it is
persistent, it likely lives on S3 (or something similar). When it is
mounted, perhaps it still lives remotely, or perhaps it gets copied to a
local disk, and runs locally. A locally running EBS, should be
comparable in speed to a raw local disk, perhaps a bit slower for yet
another layer of abstraction. If EBS lives remotely, perhaps in a
completely idle EC2 cloud, a remote EBS might perform better than a
local disk (assuming network communication is lighter-weight than
SATA/PATA bus operations), but I can't imagine how this can hold true in
a large scale and loaded cloud scenario, where shared infrastrucutre
(network, S3, etc) can become congested under load.

I don't see how EBS can be faster than local disk. Can you elaborate
more on this claim?

Thanks,
Ioan

Ioan Raicu, Ph.D.