[Swift-devel] Swift-issues (PBS+NFS Cluster)

Kate Keahey keahey at mcs.anl.gov
Fri May 8 17:11:22 CDT 2009

Michael Wilde wrote:

>>> I don't think so. Tim may make commit on it.
>>
>> There is some work going on right now making auto-configuration easier
>> to do
>> over multiple clusters (that is possible now, it's just very 'manual' and
>> non-ideal unlike with one physical cluster).  You wouldn't really want
>> to do NFS
>> across a WAN, though.
>
> Indeed. Now that I think this through more clearly, one workspace == one
> cluster == one Swift "site", so we could aggregate the resources of
> multiple workspaces through Swift to execute a multi-site workflow.
>
> - Mike

Just to make sure we are all on the same page: we can stand up one
virtual cluster over a few different clouds. We did that with a hadoop
clusters, MPI clusters and a few looser things. The only reason Tim is
advocating against doing this here is that we are standing up an OSG
cluster which has NFS on it where the latencies would likely kill us (as
opposed to an MPI cluster where the latencies only slow us down slightly).

--

Kate Keahey,
Mathematics & CS Division, Argonne National Laboratory