[Swift-devel] Provenance use case

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Mar 28 10:56:36 CDT 2009

Thoughts and comments on this:

Ive stressed the need for log collection to every group I work with,
long hard and often, but making it happen is slow and makes little sense
till the user is really up and running, which takes huge effort and
comes first.

Ive used on occasion a personal "swiftrun" command that bundled log
reporting (and run-directory conventions and cleanup) with swift execution.

Ive never had time to polish that for general use, but recently placed
these tools under svn so we could start doing soon.

Regarding specific users, the main ones we can work with this on at the
moment are the OOPS and PtMap groups. These two groups are just now
nearing the point where their runs will worth saving. Runs to date have
been mostly in the learning category.

Putting all logs in a central repo is OK for now. Someday we'll want to
have per-collaboration repositories. Ideally we should place the central
one under a ~swift dir rather than ~benc - it sounds to users more
official and less than a personal project.

So bottom line: its happening but takes time.