[Swift-devel] Re: Provenance use case

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Mar 26 16:27:04 CDT 2009

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Glen Hocky wrote:

> Suggestion for this. What about if we wrote a script that echo's any relevant
> data (e.g. svn-code-rev) in whatever format you thing best. If this is
> installed allong with the rest of the code, we could just stick it into the
> tc.data file and write an app wrapper for it. Would that make it easier to
> incorporate this information into a provenance collection feature of swift?

That is one way it could work, yes.

Then Swift might need some way of saying "run this once per site" rather
than its present execution model.

Another way is to gather the information during each run, by allowing
users to specify something like "run this command at the start of each
job, and store its text output somewhere".

The second way above would be closer to what is actually being run, so
would probably be more trustworthy, though more expensive too.