[Swift-devel] problems with external dependencies

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Tue Mar 24 08:15:25 CDT 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:

> Back to the main point: I need to dissect this example to better understand
> how it lets me wait for all the apps to finish without putting an external var
> on each one, and hence avoids the array of externals. This violates my (most
> recent) understanding of procedure return, in that generate() would return to
> the calls *before* all the ls() procs called from its foreach loop returns.
> That seems to be the crux of the matter.

no, they return when everything in them has finished executing.

Thats how the unpleasant hack of putting foreach loops inside a procedure
to get closing to happen at the end of the foreach happens. Its the same
here - the external variable is closed when everything inside its
returning procedure is finished.