[Swift-devel] problems with external dependencies

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 23 10:07:59 CDT 2009

On 3/23/09 9:55 AM, Mihael Hategan wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 22:35 -0500, Michael Wilde wrote:
>
>> Also note that the limitation that forced me into this approach was the
>> inability to pass a dataset without invoking all the semantics of data
>> transport and the attendant cmd line args required. Some way to do that
>> may also be worth discussing.
>>

> I can't quite parse that. Can you be more specific?

In the oops application, the desired number of simulations to run at a
time, per protein, is 2000. After each "round" of 2000 runs, the
application needs to analyze the outputs of the 2000, and in some cases
decide whether to start another round or not, and if so, with what
starting configuration (of the protein molecule being simulated).

Passing 2000 outputs from the simuation to the analysis routine causes
wrapper.sh to be invoked with values of DIRS and/or INF that exceed the
max allowed command line length (which I think is 128KB on the bgp).

Its primarily the error causes by this length limit that Im trying to
work around here.

Since analyze() is run on localhost anyways, and the data is all back
there by the time the parallel simulations are done, its also lower
overhead to say "just run analyze() on the data in this known location".
So its handy, but not essential, to avoid the overhead of linking the
dataset members to the localhost workdirectory shared/ subdir.