[Swift-devel] problems with external dependencies

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 23 10:01:18 CDT 2009

On 3/23/09 2:13 AM, Ben Clifford wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:
>
>> Also note that the limitation that forced me into this approach was the
>> inability to pass a dataset without invoking all the semantics of data
>> transport and the attendant cmd line args required. Some way to do that may
>> also be worth discussing.
>
> That is what the external type is intended to be - you get the dependency
> processing but you don't get Swift data management.

But if the user is forced to do this at fine granularity, it adds much
effort and code (and head scratching ;)

> Semantics of external can be changed to help achieve that goal.

I see where you are going; some way to force a proc() to wait for its
foreaches (or any async child procs) to complete might make the coding
much cleaner/simpler. That might be a handy construct to place in any {}
block including the one that defines a proc(){}.

Then the only piece missing might be a nice construct to grab a mapped
directory name, so the use can pass something like @dirname().  That
needs more thought; its a vague notion.