[Swift-devel] How does swift know if a task is successful

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed Mar 18 09:30:51 CDT 2009

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009, Zhao Zhang wrote:

> I think swift still needs to hold the 2nd stage computation until the 1st
> completes. If we simply remove
> the dependency, swift would send all jobs (both 1st and 2nd) out, right?

I don't meant the dependency between Swift jobs. That would still exist.

I mean make Swift so that it can start the next job when it has determined
that the first job has completed successfully, with stageout happening
separately.

At the moment, the dependencies are:

stagein(job A) < run(job A) < stageout(job A) < stagein(job B) < run(job b)

But they could become more like these two chains:

stagein(job A) < run(job A) < stagein(job B) < run(job b)
run(job A) < stageout(job A)