[Swift-devel] How does swift know if a task is successful

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Wed Mar 18 09:13:56 CDT 2009

So if Swift could remove the dependency between staging out and starting
subsequent jobs (a subset of what has been talked about before), would you
still need to hack out the stageout code?

> To solve this problem, we built a P2P data network on BGP over torus
> network. So the basic logic for this is that if a wrapper.sh found a
> piece of intermediate data, it registered this data with (name, rank of
> the CN) to a Centralized Hash Table(CHT). Next time, when a job needs
> this data, first it looks this data up in CHT, gets the rank of the
> remote node, convert the RANK to IP, fetch the data directly.

When we talked in December, I think this bit was done with posix
filesystem access. But it sounds like you are doing something different
now.

I've looked at abstracting that worker<->site shared filesystem code in
the past (and have some patches floating round in half-written state) -
can you send me your modified wrapper.sh so I can see how you do things?