[Swift-devel] globally readable variables

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Mon Jun 22 03:12:08 CDT 2009

It seems desirable to make some kind of global variable in SwiftScript. I
will not repeat the arguments here.

There seem two obvious syntax choices:

i) all top level variables become readable at all scopes.

ii) top level variables may be annotated with a "global" modifier to make
them accessible at all scopes; otherwise they are accessible only in the
same places they presently are accessible, the top level scope and its
subscopes.

I'm aware of a preference from one person for i) and a slight preference
from another for ii) - does anyone have partcular thoughts?