[Swift-devel] Overview of coaster block-allocation-version issues

Michael Wilde wilde at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jun 19 07:47:47 CDT 2009

More thoughts on this:

(2) is a showstopper on Ranger (and possible elsewhere) and hence a much
more important issue than (1).

It seems like this problem merits a 2-pronged attack:

a) reduce the overhead. Is it logging, or intrinsic to the protocol?
   -- is it obvious from the log whats causing the high overhead?
   -- its it a situation where the overhead is incurred even when
      jobs are not running, just queued?
b) see if the service can be moved to a worker node

Mike