[Swift-devel] Functionality request: best effort execution

Tiberiu Stef-Praun tiberius at ci.uchicago.edu
Mon Jul 13 20:22:57 CDT 2009

I am trying to control for runaway tasks, not just to simulate them.
The scenario is for tasks which are waiting in the queue, in which
case the wrapper script will not be able to implement the timeout
functionality (because the tasks are not executed yet).
For this reason, I wanted Swift to be aware of time-limited jobs, and
give up on them without an error message (by defaulting to a "dummy"
output).

I am wondering if I can use globus::maxwalltime as a timeout mechanism ?
My current solution is to have a task run locally and the other one
remotely, and to use the local tasks' timeout as a barrier to
generating the dummy output or to validating the remote result as the
proper output.

I know I am pushing the limits here, that's what I pretty much do all
the time with Swift.

Tibi