[Swift-devel] Status of coasters

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 13 13:39:50 CST 2009

> >> You really should not user jobmanager-fork for anything except simple
> >> setup/cleanup jobs.
> >
> > That doesn't leave many options. If we have a more efficient way of
> > submitting to the LRM than GRAM2, we can't use it. If we have more-user
> > friendly way of doing glide-ins, we can't use that either. We're pretty
> > much at the mercy of the VDT, which doesn't, after many years, properly
> > escape whitespace. I find that to be an affront to the users and
> > ultimately to the taxpayer.
>
> I agree with you, but standing up your own WS-GRAM is not the solution.

I don't think standing up our own WS-GRAM is the solution either. However, I
must also consider that standing up coasters (whether manually or
automatically) or anything non-trivial is similar to standing
up WS-GRAM in that there is a not-so-transient process that plays a part
in managing jobs and other things.