[Swift-devel] Status of coasters

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Fri Feb 13 09:44:14 CST 2009

On Fri, 13 Feb 2009, Michael Wilde wrote:

> -- Service submits via WS-GRAM. This should be tested, on sites where
> WS-GRAM is working. This woild use jobmanager=gt2:gt4:{pbs/condor/sge},
> and needs to be tested. For sites where WS-GRAM is not functional, I
> suggested we consider configuring our own non-root WS-GRAM, ideally
> using already-installed GT4 software, eg, from the OSG package on OSG
> and TG sites where its installed. Mihael thought this would be
> considerable work. I agree but it might be a stable solution with fewer
> unknowns and suppot from the GRAM group. We can bring in the latest GT4
> as needed if that provides a better solution than some older installed
> GT4 which we have no control over and which wont change till upcoming
> releases of say OSG or TG packages.

We already deploy an execution system on the remote head node. Its called
coasters.

To deploy another execution service on a site through which our existing
execution service on that site can execute things seems perverse.

Putting aside "we must use GRAM" dogma, the key benefit of using GRAM
would be (I think) to get access to the wider range of LRM adapters than
is provided by CoG. If that actually is the benefit we're after by this,
then we should consider other ways in which we might more profitably
interface to those LRM adapters.

They might be other reasons to use GRAM locally that I have not thought
of, though.