[Swift-devel] walltime compulsion

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Feb 12 10:34:08 CST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Mats Rynge wrote:

> So, why not just make the maxwalltime in tc.data a required field?

I'd rather have it compulsory than an arbitrary default value; but I'd
rather have neither.

I see no reason to compel a walltime if you don't want walltime-based
handling.

In the situations that you are running in, it seems fairly vital, because
you want to use walltime based features.

However, Swift also gets used in situations where it isn't necessary - for
example, when running on single-site clusters where stuff tends to either
work or not work (rather than having distributed-system style partial
failures), and hung jobs don't cause a problem (which is why its taken
this many years for the submit side walltime stuff to get implemented).

Nothing has changed to suddenly make it necessary to compel that user
community to think about walltimes, and in those cases, it adds
unnecessary configuration load onto users; and that is something that I
feel fairly strongly about in Swift.