[Swift-devel] walltime compulsion

Mihael Hategan hategan at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 12 10:31:46 CST 2009

On Thu, 2009-02-12 at 11:24 -0500, Mats Rynge wrote:
> Ben Clifford wrote:
> > What exists in SVN HEAD now is that if you do not specify a tc.data
> > maxwalltime, then that tc.data entry is given a 10 minute maxwalltime
> > entry by default (for everywhere - clustering, submit-side walltime
> > violation, remote queue entry)
> >
> > This is a change in maxwalltime handling that I dislike.
>
> So, why not just make the maxwalltime in tc.data a required field?

What I put in there is the middle ground between no walltime and
mandatory walltime.

For many small things 10 minutes is fine. But I also wouldn't want the
user to be surprised that their 30 minute job for which they didn't put
a walltime in never completes. So there's a once-per-job warning which
is supposed to persuade the user to specify a walltime.