[Swift-devel] walltime compulsion

Ben Clifford benc at hawaga.org.uk
Thu Feb 12 10:09:06 CST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Mats Rynge wrote:

> Ignoring the queuing system for a moment, it is still a good idea to
> know what the expected runtime is.

Right.

And better handling basically as you describe when the expected maximum
runtime (expressed through maxwalltime) is known is what was implemented.

The issue I brought up is in cases where the expected maximum runtime is
not specified by a user (in tc.data).

Previously (for example, in Swift 0.8), tc.data entries that had no
maxwalltime specification carried on having no maxwalltime all the way
through the job submission process.

Some functionality (in 0.8, I think only clustering) cannot be used with
tc.data entries that have no maxwalltime: entries that have no maxwalltime
will never be considered for being clustered. Instead, they will be
submitted as if clustering was not enabled.

What exists in SVN HEAD now is that if you do not specify a tc.data
maxwalltime, then that tc.data entry is given a 10 minute maxwalltime
entry by default (for everywhere - clustering, submit-side walltime
violation, remote queue entry)

This is a change in maxwalltime handling that I dislike.